Ahead of the 2023 presidency, the leadership of the All Progressive Congress is restructuring the party in a way that will make it a stronger party than before
After Adams Oshiomhole led National working committee was dissolved, a caretaker committee of 13 members was inaugurated with Governor Mai Mala Buni of Yobe State chosen as the head of the committee.
The committee embarked on several rebuilding exercises, one of them is the registration of party members. This is to update the register with the name of new members and also remove the name of those that have decamped to another political party.
While this is a good initiative, there are some states in the country where the All Progressive Congress has several factions laying claim to the soul of the party, the registration exercise will likely determine who controls the party.
These are states where the APC registration exercise may likely turn to a tussle between the different factions.
1. Rivers State: The perfect description of the All Progressive Congress in Rivers State is a house divided against itself.
The internal rivalry between the two factions in the party had weakened the ability of the party to compete against the Peoples’ Democratic Party in past elections in the state.
The Amaechi faction and Abe faction have clashed with each other for years, the registration of members may likely start another round.
2. Zamfara State: The intra tussle between Senator Kabiru Marafa faction and former governor Abdulaziz Yari faction is what made the party lose out the position of the governorship to the opposition party in the state.
The battle for the soul of the All Progressive Congress in Zamfara state is still ongoing between the two factions, the registration exercise will determine which faction wins the battle of supremacy.
3. Ekiti State: The clash between Paul Omotosho led faction and Senator Anthony Adeniyi led faction is raging on in Ekiti State, the Omotosho led faction is backed by the state governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, and the Adeniyi faction has the support of Senator Babafemi Ojudu.
The membership registration exercise in Ekiti State will likely throw some intrigues up.
4. Kwara State: The All Progressive Congress in Kwara State is one of the states with different factions, the recent removal of Hon. Bashir Bolarinwa by the National Caretaker Committee was resisted by party members who are loyal to the Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed.
The decision of the party to handle the position of the Chairman of the party in Kwara State to Hon. Sanmari Abdulahi, one of the governor’s loyalists has made things more interesting than before in the party. The two factions will be interested in the membership registration exercise.
5. Lagos State: Apart from being the base of the national leader of the party, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed, Lagos State is home to many party chieftains.